Wednesday, September 17, 2014

Blog 200: My Fare-Ye-Well

 
By Vernon M. Herron



“Finally brethren, (readers, friends and helpers) farewell-
Be of good courage, be of one mind, live in peace,
and the God of love and peace shall be with you.”
II Corinthians 13:11


Three years ago in 2011, I wrote and published my first blog, “I Remember,” under the caption of “Herron Speaks.” It was not a single effort but a team approach. We started with an idea which was recorded, examined by the proof-reader, submitted to the technician, and then on to the poster. We had one common objective, produce a good blog worthy of reading and remembering.

Now, three years later, at age 86 (Oct. 7th ), we come to the publication of blog 200, our goal-mark! You helped us to reach this point. We made many reading friends, including you, who have written complimentary remarks and given significant input. Thank you!

Because of rapid failing health, and even though 200 was the blog producing goal, I became shockingly ill at blog 185, when I decided to stop writing. Friends encouraged me to continue the journey toward the original goal and assured me that they would help write to that end. We agreed. Now, here we are again at the goal. The next step is to put all 200 blogs into a book.  It is time to say, “fare-ye-well.”

Alexander Waters helped shaped an idea into a reader friendly conception; Joseph Burton and Eddie Boulwell gave inestimable technical support; Mrs. Barbara Hendricks proof-read and Steve Johnston posted. My,! What a team! Leon Gill will now communicate with you.

Blog writing was always a challenge to my intellect in various disciplines. Often, it would take me into the areas of Black history, church history, family history, childhood and youth experiences, death, genealogy, music, theology, humor and general blogging. This process often challenged the need for further research, which also was an experience of growth.

So, as I approach the “rack” upon which to place my hat, my fare-ye-well words come from II Corinthians 13:11, “Be of good courage, be of one mind, live in peace, and the God of love and peace shall be with you.”  Perhaps you should blog write. This is my fare-ye-well. Let me hear from you.

May the Triune God
Be over you-to bless you;
Before you-to lead you;
Behind you-to defend you;
And in you-to refresh you;
Until we meet again-
(in person or in print)
May God hold you in
The hollow of His hands.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I encourage the respectful expression of your thoughts. However, if deemed disrespectful, your comments will be removed.