Wednesday, October 20, 2010

#38 Five of Many Hymns Which Impress Me

     # 38 FIVE OF MANY HYMNS WHICH IMPRESS ME.
By Vernon M. Herron

When I am in worship which is adaptive, there are five of many hymns which impress me. I am fully aware that religious music may be hymns, anthems, gospel, spirituals or meters, etc. But today, I concentrate on selected hymns which I love.

Recognizing that the origin of hymns may be Anglican, African or Western, I often wonder why some hymns inspire me more than others. Hymns which are canticles are most impressive. Canticles are scripture set to music. Then quite often, one can find theology imbedded in the movement of the composition, “Praise Ye The Triune God” is a good example.

Then many hymns strengthen one’s affirmation of a faith journey. The five listed hymns below are but samples of the above.  They can be found and heard on the Internet by hymn title.

Re: Hymns

PRAISE YE THE TRIUNE GOD
Based on Matthews 28:20
(The Father, Son and the Holy Spirit)
Words by Elizabeth R. Charles c1858; Lyrics do not rhyme

Praise ye the Father for His loving kindness;
Tenderly cares He for His erring children;
Praise Him, ye angels, praise Him in the heavens
Praise ye Jehovah!
Praise ye the Savior—great is His compassion;
Graciously He for His chosen people;
Young men and maidens, older folks and children,
Praise ye the Savior;
Praise ye the Spirit, Comforter of Israel,
Sent of the Father and the Son to bless us,
Praise ye the Father, Son and Holy Spirit,
Praise ye the Triune God!

HOW TEDIOUS AND TASTELESS THE HOUR
Based on Psalms 16:11
“In Thy presence if fullness of joy; at thy right hand there are pleasures for evermore.”
Words by John Newton, 1779

How tedious and tasteless the hours when Jesus no longer I see!
Sweet prospects, sweet birds and sweet flow’rs,
Have all lost their sweetness to me.
The mid-summer sun shines but dim; The fields strive to look gay;
But when I am happy in Him, December’s as pleasant as May.

His name yields the riches perfume, And sweeter than music his voice;
His presence disperses my gloom, and makes all within me rejoice;
I should, were he always thus nigh, having nothing to wish or to fear;
No mortal so happy as I; My summer would last all the year.

Dear Lord, if indeed I Am Thine, If Thou art my sun and my song,
Say, why do I languish and pine? And why are my winters so long?
O drive these dark clouds from my sky; Thy soul-cheering presence restore;
Or take me unto Thee on high, where winter and clouds are no more.


O THOU IN WHOSE PRESENCE MY SOUL TAKES DELIGHT
Words by Fernando Ortega

O Thou in whose presence my soul takes delight,
On whom in affliction I call
My comfort by day and my song in the night
My hope, my salvation my all.

Where does Thou, dear shepherd resort with thy sheep
To feed them in pastures of love?
Say, why in the valley of death should I weep
Or alone in this wilderness rove?


Oh why should I wonder, an alien from Thee
Or cry in the desert for bread?
Thy foes will rejoice when my sorrows they see
And smile at the tears I have shed.

Dear Shepherd, I hear and will follow Thy call
I know the sweet sound of Thy voice
Restore and defend me for Thou art my all
And in Thee I will ever rejoice.



BRETHREN, WE HAVE MET TO WORSHIP
HOLY MANNA
“Come, let us bow down in worship.” Psalm 95:6
        Words by George Atkins, 1819

Brethren, we have met to worship and adore the Lord our God.
Will you pray with all your power, while we try to preach the word?
All is vain unless the Spirit of the Holy One comes down;
Brethren pray and holy manna will be showered all around.

Brethren, see poor sinners round you slumbering on the brink of woe;
Death is coming, hell is moving, can you bear to let them go?
See our fathers and our mothers and our children sinking down
Brethren pray and holy manna will be showered all around.

Sisters, will you join and help us? Moses’ sisters aided him;
Will you help the trembling mourners who are struggling hard with sin?
Tell them all about the Savior, tell them that He will be found,
Sisters, pray and holy manna will be showered all around.

Is there a trembling jailer, seeking Grace and filled with tears?
Is there a weeping Mary pouring forth a flood of tears?
Brethren, join you cries to help them; sisters, let your prayer abound:
Pray , oh pray that holy manna may be scattered all around.

Let us love our God supremely, let us love each other, too.
Let us love and pray for sinners, til our God makes all things new.
Then He’ll call us home to Heaven, at His table we’ll sit down;
Christ will gird himself and serve us with sweet manna all around.




AND THEN ETERNITY

By
Thomas O. Chisholm


                                    A few more years to sow and reap,
A few more years to smile and weep,
A few more years to wake and sleep,
And then – eternity!

                                     A few more miles for weary feet,
                                     A few more trails yet to meet,
                                     A few more lessons to complete,
And then – eternity!

                                      A little while to watch and pray,
To labor while ‘tis called “Today,”
Prepare for Heaven while we may,
And then – eternity!

Our life, how soon it will be past!
                                        The golden hours are going fast,
                                        This very day may be our last!
And then – eternity!

As fades the mist before the sun,
    As song that dies when just begun,
So passes life, -so quickly gone,
And then- eternity!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I encourage the respectful expression of your thoughts. However, if deemed disrespectful, your comments will be removed.