Wednesday, January 19, 2011

#48 I Have Changed My Mind


#48 I CHANGED MY MIND
BY
Vernon M. Herron


Before I share a lighter side of my nature, let me set the record straight regarding my theological stance which guides me daily. I believe that God is:
Infinite
Omniscient
Omnipresent
Omnipotent
Immutable

and that I am a subject of HIS. (The meaning will be given later.)With that out of the way, let me tell you the lighter side of the story.

In recent years, my body has been racked with arthritic pain, so much so, I was beginning to lose the will to survive. All that I wanted was to be free of pain so that I could resume my former life’s style of preaching, traveling, dressing and engaging in other cultural and political activities. Since it seemed that those days were long gone, and that “I could not do like I used to do,” I was preparing for “heaven” by declaring no more preaching, expenditures on cars, travel, clothes and luxury for me.

But something happened for the better. Medically, a procedure allowed me to have an injection which removed all pain due to arthritis. Now, I feel much better. I have changed my mind about life and living. For example, initially I was invited to return to the St. Paul’s Baptist Church, West Chester, PA, where I once served as Interim Pastor to preach. Initially, there was a decline to return to fulfill that objective for health reasons but with a new lease on life, my beloved daughter, Leila and I returned to West Chester, only  to fellowship in worship and renewed memories. The following excerpt from a “thank you” note to the church captures  the spirit of the day.

“You demonstrated brotherly love in every way. You provided convenient transportation , comfortable lodging, delicious food, in-depth discussion, a meaningful worship experience and gracious social networking. I shall long remember your thoughtfulness and magnanimous spirit. We enjoyed a safe trip and a well planned and executed experience.”
The “provided convenient transportation” consisted of being chauffeured in a 2010 Mercedes Benz S-550 Sedan which was
fully loaded with dual climate control, heated seats, blue tooth hands free telephone, state of the art navigation system, rear window shade at a cost of “a pretty penny.” The ride was comfortable, smooth, awesome and technologically controlled. I had to say, “mama, look at your boy!”

I was driven by a “brother” who had just retired from the UPS. Deacon Marvin Stewart is his name. Needless, to say that I was impressed beyond measure.

Now, I have an 18 year old Buick automobile, free of debt, it rides good and is clean. I have no intention of another car note, but since the West Chester ride, I have changed my mind and am open to “new rides.”

Now, there is a second episode which has influenced my thinking.
A certified tailor came to my home/office and tailored for me three suits to be worn during the year. I was impressed with his marketing skills, presentation, his precise measurements, business experience, goals, proficiency and efficiency and he is Black college trained. Since my body pain has subsided, I am committed to live a little longer to wear these suits. In fact, at one point, I said, “no more travel for me, no more clothes, no more cars and no more preaching” but I’ve changed my mind. Let’s put “heaven” on a little hold, wear some of the new clothing, do a little more traveling and even preach one more time. I have been so busy: “Ain’t Got Time To Die.” Read Hall Johnson’s words in his spiritual.



Lord, I keep so busy praisin’n my Jesus
ain’t got time to die.
‘cause when I’m healing de sick,
it takes all of my time
to praise my Lord.
If I don’t praise Him, de rocks gon’ter cry out
glory and honor!

Lord, I keep so busy workin’ fer de kingdom,
ain’t got time to die.
‘cause when I’m feeding de po’
I’m working for de kingdom,
ain’t got time to die.

Lord, I keep so busy servin’ my master
ain’t got time to die.
‘cause when I’m giving my all,
ain’t got time to die.

Hear the conclusion of the whole matter: God has the last word!
I began this writing by listing the attributes of God. Now, I want to give definitions and a conclusion.

Infinite: subject to no limitation or external determination.
Omniscient: having infinite awareness, understanding and insights.
Omnipresent: present in all places at all times.
Omnipotent: unlimited power.
Immutable: not susceptible to change.

I may have changed my mind, but GOD is the final judge. My times are in His hands!

PEACE.
                    

No comments:

Post a Comment

I encourage the respectful expression of your thoughts. However, if deemed disrespectful, your comments will be removed.