Friday, May 27, 2011

#56 - A Phenomenal Woman

Blog 56

A Phenomenal Woman
by
Vernon M. Herron



Mrs. Carolyn Brenda Reynolds Jones



The Western North Carolina Chapter of Bennett College National Alumnae Association recently recognized and honored Mrs. Carolyn Brenda Reynolds Jones as a Phenomenal Woman of the Church. In her own words, Maya Angelou describes this:


  Phenomenal Woman

Pretty women wonder where my secret lies.
I’m not cute or built to suit a fashion model’s size
but when I start to tell them, they think I’m telling lies.
I say,
It’s in the reach of my arms, the span of my hips,
the stride of my steps, the curl of my lips.
I’m a woman Phenomenally.
Phenomenal woman,
That’s me.

I walk into a room just as cool as you please,
And to a man,
The fellows stand or fall down on their knees.
Then they swarm around me, A hive of honey bees.
I say,
It’s the fire in my eyes, and the flash of my teeth,
The swing in my waist, and the joy in my feet.
I’m a woman Phenomenally.
Phenomenal woman,
That’s me.

Men themselves have wondered what they see in me.
They try so much but they can’t touch
My inner mystery.
When I try to show them they say they still can’t see.
I say
It’s in the arch of my back, The sun of my smile,
The ride of my breasts, The grace of my style.
I’m a woman Phenomenally.
Phenomenal woman,
That’s me.




Now you understand just why my head’s not bowed.
I don’t shout or jump about or have to talk real loud.
When you see me passing, it ought to make you proud.
I say,
It’s the click of my heels, the bend of my hair,
The palm of my hand, the need of my care,
‘Cause  I’m a woman
Phenomenally.
Phenomenal woman,
That’s me.

‘Phenomenal’ is defined as very notable or remarkable; it or one is extraordinary or exceptional. The criteria of The Bennett Alumnae Association included the following descriptive words as impact, involvement, inspiration, integrity, spirituality, humility, kindness, wisdom, perseverance and serving others. We too, at Friendship Missionary Baptist Church, Charlotte, NC can call Mrs. Brenda Jones a Phenomenal Woman because of her 3P’s: Position, Purpose and Personality. She is indeed a very notable, remarkable, extraordinary and exceptional person.

Position
Mrs. Jones is the beloved wife of Dr. Clifford A. Jones, Sr. who is the pastor of one of Charlotte’s most prestigious mega churches, the FRIENDSHIP MISSIONARY BAPTIST CHURCH. This is a mega church   with a membership over 7,000 members, of which 62% are females and 38% are males. The age groups reveal 8% children and youth; 60% adults 18-54; 23% senior citizens; while 8% is unidentified.

She is the alter-ego of her husband, a second “Cliff,” a trusted friend who is the opposite side of his personality. She articulates his philosophy, extends his spirit and brings his dreams to fruition. As such, Mrs. Jones is the FIRST LADY of this phenomenal congregation.

Purpose
Even though “Miss Brenda” is an alter-ego, she conducts a unique ministry of personal and group needs in her own way. Among many noteworthy achievements, she helped established the Youth Opportunity University (Y.O.U.), a summer program offering academic, religious and cultural enrichment as well as scholarships for local and South African students. She was the co-founder of the CREW (Christian Really Enjoying Witnessing), coordinator of the New Perspective Bible Study (for Women) and Ministry, advisor for the Baptist Young Women (BYW), Sunday School  teacher, senior high superintendent, youth advisor and director of youth life.
Personality
The personality of Mrs. Jones is not self-serving. You won’t find her in a special seat reserved for the “first lady.” Rather, she moves about the congregation, sitting with “any” and “all,” sharing her Bible and hymn book with one who may be the city’s mayor, the former mayor,  a legislator, a judge, an educator, a financier, a doctor, a technician, a retiree,, a student, a laborer or a struggler. Her movement enhances identification with people. She loves people at their point of need. She embraces the church and calls “them all” family.
Mrs. Jones is known, loved and respected through senses rather than through thought and intuition.
To know Carolyn Brenda Reynolds Jones is to love her;
            To love her is to see her in action;
            To see her in action is to observe a—

P H E N O M E N A L     W O M A N



1 comment:

  1. Great piece on the First Lady of Friendship; I agree, she is a PHENOMENAL WOMAN! Thanks Dr.Herron

    ReplyDelete

I encourage the respectful expression of your thoughts. However, if deemed disrespectful, your comments will be removed.