Friday, June 24, 2011

Blog 59 My Adopted Family

Blog 59


My Adopted Family:

A Story of Nine Historical Figurine Characters

by

Vernon M. Herron





Recently, Nomzamo Nobandla Winnifred Madikizela- Mandela from South Africa, was the commencement speaker at Johnson C. Smith University in Charlotte, NC. Billy, a youth from the Community found his way to the commencement just to meet Winnie and to get her autograph. Billy’s experience was not new, nor different for me, because I had similar experiences many years ago.



Related to identifying oneself with people of note, I remember enrolling at Shaw University as a freshman in 1947. I met a sophomore whose name was “Gibbs.”

After looking me over, the following dialogue ensued.



Gibbs: “Who are you?”

Herron: “Don’t you know who I am? Have you heard of Roland Hayes?”

Gibbs: “Yes”

Herron: “Why, that’s my cousin!”

Gibbs: “Wow!”

Herron: “Do you know of Adam Clayton Powell, Jr.?”

Gibbs: “Yes!”

Herron: “Why, he’s my uncle!”

Gibbs: “Wow!”

Herron: “Have you heard of Joe Lewis?”

Gibbs: “Wait a minute, you freshman. You are about to lie!”



So I had, because of my desire to be associated with people of note and who were making a significant difference in life. Researching Black history from my youth has always been a burning desire for me, especially knowing those who achieved. I would travel far and near to meet great personalities who were achievers in their own rights. I was inspired to imitate them in character and service. Such personalities, whom I have met and secured their autographs at commencements of several schools, included Mary McLeod Bethune, Hazel Scott, Walter White, Ralph Bunche, Marion Anderson, Frank Rupp, Selma Burke, J. L. Peacock, Muriel Rahn, and Elmar Burrows (See their penmanship which follows:)




You may recall that in 1985, Martha Holcombe Root sculpted a line of figurines and christened them as ALL GOD’S CHILDREN. In 1989, she introduced a Black historical series of figurines to increase “awareness of unsung heroes and heroines of America’s past who had a positive influence in shaping the history of our country with their courage, beliefs and determination.”



I acquired nine of those historical figurine characters and designated them as “my adopted family.” They were a source of company, comfort and strength while living alone following the death of my late wife. The nine characters are located on each step of the stairwell separating the first from the second floors. I enjoy their presence and the significance they give.



The historical characters include:



Richard Allen (1760-1831)

Founder of The Mother Bethel AME Church

First African American bishop in US



Clara Brown (1800-1885)

Pioneer in business, human rights and hospital work.



Fredrick Douglass (1818-1895)

Abolitionist



Mary Mahoney (1845-1926)

First African American Graduate Nurse in US



George Washington Carver (c1864-1943)

Scientist-Humanitarian



Mary Bethune (1875-1955)

Founder and President National Council of Negro Women

Advisor to President Franklin D. Roosevelt



Bessie Coleman (1893-1926)

First African American Woman Pilot in the World



Martin Luther King (1929-1968)

Minister-Civil Rights Leader



Fannie Lou Hamer (1917-1977)

Leader Southern Civil Rights Movement



I lie not, this time! These persons comprise my “adopted family.” They give me no problems; I don’t have to feed them; no upkeep; no expenses; no conflicts! Meet my adopted family. From them, inspiration is gained; lessons are learned; conversations are held; character is noted. Thank you “family” for your presence, comfort, teachings and examples.

2 comments:

  1. Dr. Herron, truly enjoy your blogs; this one is special, Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fascinating they're my adopted family as well. 😊

    ReplyDelete

I encourage the respectful expression of your thoughts. However, if deemed disrespectful, your comments will be removed.