Monday, November 14, 2011

Blog 77 - An Identity Crisis

Blog  77

“Hi-Yo, Silver!---The Lone Ranger Rides Again!”
An Identity Crisis.
By
Vernon M. Herron


Let me tell you about a disappointment which I still harbor from my childhood until this day! This childhood experience takes me back to the “radio listening days” when I strongly identified with the Lone Ranger-riding horse-adventure program. It portrayed a conquering hero, who rode a horse into the wild terrain of the mountains and deserts; one who fought the odds; fought wars and was always “a conqueror.” This masculine program challenged boys to be manly in thought and noble in deeds. This program usually finished with an invitation to boys to become a Lone Ranger club member just by sending one’s name and address to a headquarters and to wait for an acknowledgement letter. 

Well, this I did. It pleased me to no end. For the first time in my life, I would receive mail addressed to me alone! Such mail would affirm my personhood as a respected and bona-fide individual with rights and privileges.

I could hardly wait to receive that letter addressed to:

            Master Vernon M. Herron
            410 S. Long Street
            Charlotte, NC

Just to think of it: a forthcoming letter addressed to me! Well that letter finally came along, confirming my identity and recognizing my personhood, though only 12 years of age. My first letter was opened by an adult family member, whom I shall not name, then passed on to me. The bottom of my heart dropped. Was that an “identity crisis?” What do you think? Have you ever experienced an identity crisis?

No comments:

Post a Comment

I encourage the respectful expression of your thoughts. However, if deemed disrespectful, your comments will be removed.