Thursday, October 11, 2012

Blog 119: Life's Lessons in Charlotte

 
By Nicole Roper
(Guest Writer)

     I moved to Charlotte in April 2003 from Atlanta but a long way from my home of Long Beach, California. I moved because I had a new opportunity, to open the University of Phoenix in North Carolina.  I was 29 years old, married, with a 2-year old daughter, and pregnant with my son. It was a great opportunity for my family and me.
   Charlotte was a perfect city for me. I learned history, culture and a lot about myself. Over my nearly 10 years in Charlotte, I grew, personally, professionally and spiritually.  It was through my church homes of the Park Ministries and later the Friendship Missionary Baptist Church that I learned, no matter where I was, if I "walked by faith", I would be fine.  
   It was in 2009 when I ran for membership on the school board, I learned that I could have a voice and contribute to the community conversation.   It was through this experience that I met Dr. Vernon Herron at the Tuesday Morning Breakfast Forum.  Dr. Herron always had a kind word to say and a great perspective to share. When I joined the Friendship Missionary Baptist Church, it was Dr. Herron who made my children and me feel welcome. He always asked questions of his concern and genuinely wanted to know the answer.
   The nearly 10 years in Charlotte brought several personal and professional changes; divorce, layoffs, new jobs, and new friends. But what I learned was that these situations and people don't define who you are. 
   Spending my 30s in Charlotte was a perfect time in my life because I could continue to explore and that I did.  I found that after being away from home for over 20 years, I am still Nicole from Long Beach, California and that is perfectly fine.  I brought my ideas and values across the country, living in Las Vegas, Phoenix, Houston and Atlanta along the way. As I met people through work, politics, church and community projects, I continued to gain confidence in my personal path. I never understood how my choices and changes would come together, but God did.  He put the right people in my path at the right time to prepare me.
   I left Charlotte in September 2012, with a 12-year old daughter and an 8-year old (soon to be 9) son, because of a new adventure which was my new marriage to Rodney Roper, Jr. We have now moved to Fredericksburg, Virginia where he lives and works.  I am excited for this new chapter in life and for the spending the rest of my life with Rodney. Together, we now have six children. 
    What I learned from the City of Charlotte and the people whom I met along the way, were the right lessons to be passed along to our children. Those lessons include to value our differences, faith and contribution  to one’s community; to be kind to whomever you meet, because you don't know how much they need warmth, greetings, acceptance. (thank you Dr. Herron) and to be known when your season is over
      Thank you Charlotte!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I encourage the respectful expression of your thoughts. However, if deemed disrespectful, your comments will be removed.