Sunday, June 2, 2013

Blog 141: Word of the Month

     Each week, members and worshippers at the Friendship Missionary Baptist Church of Charlotte, NC are challenged with a “Word of the Month” like “informed,” “committed,” “anticipated,” “engagement,” “ involved,” “hearing,” etc.
     My beloved niece, Earline Dixon is the epitome of one who demonstrates “engagement” or “involvement.” She constantly practices Christian stewardship through church activities.
     In her own words, she says:
     “I have been a member of Friendship Missionary Baptist Church since 1997.  There are so many opportunities to be a blessing to so many people, not only in our country but throughout the world.   I am presently serving as a member of the Ladies Choir and volunteer through Crisis Assistance Ministry, Womens Shelter, Womens Prison Ministry,  Greeters Ministry and as a Welcome Desk Receptionist.”
     That’s involvement! Don’t you think so?
     “Word of the Month” suggests that the “gospel” is a force for action. It must be lived. Let me tell you about this “child of God” in her own words to describe this mold.
      “I am a native of the Cherry Community of Charlotte.  I left Charlotte in 1957 to live with my mother, Lizzie McKenzie in New York, following the death of my beloved Grandmother, Frances Oliphant.
     When I reflect on my transition from Charlotte to New York, after my grandmothers death, I thank God for bringing me through that period of my life because it was as if I had lost everything and everyone at the same time.  My grandmother, by example, showed me how to be a wife, a mother and a decent caring person just by being one herself and being an example for me to follow.
     My grandfather did not have an elementary, high school or a college education. What he did have were common sense, a love for God and His word.  He walked over three miles a day to work in the rain, shine, sleet or snow to earn a paycheck to feed his family. 
     The person that I have become today is due partly  to my wonderful mother, Lizzie McKenzie and my grandparents, Walter and Frances Oliphant, from whom I learned the benefits of hard work and perseverance.  I thank God every day for their love, care and positive examples they tried to set for me while they lived.  I have tried my best with God's help to pass those values on to my children, Lisa and Sabrina and four grandchildren, Hashim, Omari, Tarik and Isaiah.  Remembering all of these things, how can I not believe in my Lord and Savior.
     I graduated from Williams Howard Taft High School in 1961, Bronx New York  and married my husband Alexander the same year.  After 52 years of marriage his love and support have always been present in our marriage due to our continuous love of our Lord and Savior and love for each other. 
     After our two daughters, Lisa and Sabrina, were born, I returned to school. I received a B.A. degree,  graduating cum laude from The City University of New York.  I earned my degree while working a full time job and attending school in the evening (so you see it can be done).  I am also a graduate of the Mecklenburg County Sheriff Office Citizen's Academy.
     I retired from the New York City Housing Authority, Staff Relations Dept. and the City of Charlotte Aviation Dept. with an accumulation of over 30 years of service. 
     Lest I forget, let me say how proud I was of my mother, Lizzie McKenzie  who decided to go back to school  at 55 years of age to get her CNA certificate and to get her license to drive! Also my thanks to my Uncle Vernon Herron for being my very first Vacation Bible School facilitator at Pleasant Hill Baptist Church in the Cherry Community of  Charlotte. 
     I have described for you the foundation or the mixture for the ‘word of the month’- INVOLVEMENT. You do the same.”

No comments:

Post a Comment

I encourage the respectful expression of your thoughts. However, if deemed disrespectful, your comments will be removed.