Saturday, July 6, 2013

Blog 143: My error and Apology: The story of Dee Walker and Dee Bloomfield

 
By Vernon   M.  Herron
  

     According to a demographic and statistical report, there are approximately five billion people on the face of the earth. Each person has individual characteristics, marks, name, traits, personality, etc. I have approximately 300 names in my e-mail address book; three of them have the same first name—“Dee”. I try to know each entrant personally but I often fail. Here is where I make my apology. The use of this roster is a good tool for communication. It is speedy and is cost-saving.   

     Recently, one day in the a.m., I e-mailed a message to an addressee listed in the file as  “Dee Walker”. I thought that I was speaking to my niece, Dee Bloomfield. (It’s o.k. to call names.) The message said, “I thought that I had your telephone number but I can’t find it. At one time, you told me that your husband was ill and I want to hear about his status.”

     That same day, in the p.m., I received the following reply from Dee Walker. She asked, “What husband? You found me a husband?! Thank the Lord! You must be referring to another Dee. (And I was) But if you find someone looking for a wife, tell him to get in touch with me.” Ha-ha, Ha-ha, Ha-ha.

     The next day, I replied again to Dee Walker. “This is the joke of the century. I goofed. I apologize. I quietly laughed throughout the church service today. Thank you for a good laugh. This is a good blog story.”
    
     Since we now know the names of these two distinguished  ladies, let me introduce them to you and tell you about their significant work.

     Meet my friend, Dee Walker. (Note: We were unable to obtain a bio sketch of Dee Walker. However, we are grateful to have received her photograph.)
 
     Now meet my niece, Dee Bloomfield.

     Demeatress White Bloomfield’s past experiences include being a Progressive Intensive Care Nurse, Medical-Surgical Staff Nurse, Staff Nurse, and an Admitting Officer. She is now a nursing Ph.D. student who graduated Summa Cum Laude, BSN, 1999.

     But Dee’s bio-sketch best describes her character/personality. She speaks in her own words. “As long as I can remember, I’ve always wanted to be a nurse. My aunt Jessie Mae Herron, whom I was very much intrigued by, was a nurse and a true inspiration to me;  however, after completing high school, I chose to major in computer operations at CPCC. Consequently, I launched a career in business while working as a computer operator for a long distance telephone company. Later, I eventually fulfilled my dream of becoming a registered nurse after completing Mercy Hospital School of Nursing and obtaining a nursing diploma. While working as a nurse in various healthcare settings, I attended Winston Salem State’s RN to Baccalaureate of Science in Nursing (BSN) Program and UNCC’s Master of Science in Nursing (MSN) Program.  Currently, I am employed as school health supervisor for Mecklenburg County Health Department.  I love nursing, and I love learning!”

     Dee continues, “So here I am today, my lifelong love for learning once again has guided me to enroll in an online Nursing Ph.D. program at Hampton University where I will investigate spirituality as a coping resource for African American parents of children with asthma. My love for learning may be more than a notion. My mother Dorothy Gaddy recently received her Early Childhood Education degree at the age of 69 years old. God has led me through my educational quest to encourage practically every young person that I encounter, to pursue their education. My future plan is to become a faculty member at a university.”

     She continues, “Almost two years ago at the ripe age of 49 years old, I married Joseph Bloomfield, a wonderful well-educated man whom I admire.  His love and support has guided me through the Master’s Program and continues to see me through the Ph.D. journey. God is good! Joe is very outgoing, and he never meets a stranger. I feel blessed to have him in my life. We enjoy traveling, attending college and professional sporting events (football and basketball), riding bicycles, movie theaters, entertaining guests in our home and attending Mt. Carmel Baptist Church together.  Emphatically, we love and value our families.  Holidays are special and filled with lots of love when we combine our relatives.” 



     “As we all know, change is imminent, and we must be prepared. Joseph began to experience severe neck and lower back pain and had a succession of surgeries within the first year of our marriage. Surgical complications emerged. Joseph’s love for God and his strong faith is helping him to experience a successful recovery.  According to Joseph, “I am able to enjoy my wife, family, work and my passion for exercising.” Joseph has a sincere testimony of God’s goodness and healing power.  We are blessed to have each other, great families and wonderful friends. We look forward to a long life together.”

     Sending the message to Dee Walker intended for Dee Bloomfield was an error and I apologize.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I encourage the respectful expression of your thoughts. However, if deemed disrespectful, your comments will be removed.