Tuesday, February 25, 2014

Blog 177: A “Thank You” Note from Mrs. Alene S. McCorkle


On July 27, 2014, our beloved teacher/advisor, Mrs. Alene Stewart McCorkle, will observe her 99th birthday. Approximately four years ago, a birthday party was held in her honor. Do you remember the occasion? The following is a quote from blog 67:

“Recently, approximately thirty persons, including the Second Ward High School National Alumni Foundation, Inc., former students and friends of Mrs. Alene Kate Stewart McCorkle, celebrated her 95th birthday with a luncheon at the Olive Garden Italian Restaurant, in the North Lake Shopping Mall at Charlotte. The retired Mathematics teacher taught at Charlotte’s Second Ward High School for 31 years and is one of two survivors of the 1947 faculty.”

To refresh your memory, here are pictures in review, taken by photographer William C. Youngblood.




Here is an open “thank you” note from Mrs. McCorkle:

Dear Beloved Friends,
I am now approaching my 99th Birthday.  Since my 95th Birthday Party held at the Olive Garden which many of you so graciously attended, I have not been well: afflicted with one disabling condition after another, perhaps connected to an uncontrolled thyroid condition.  The sudden onset of these physical problems occurred the very next day following the party so I have not been able to send "Thank you" cards that I wanted to send.  I would like to take this opportunity to thank all of you for the wonderful cards, gifts and other acts of love and kindness.  Everything was very much appreciated.
Could you please do me the favor of expressing my thankfulness to anyone that you would know who attended my party and may not have access to this blog?
Again, thank you very much, especially to this blogger, Rev. Dr. Vernon Herron.

Sincerely,

Alene S. McCorkle

No comments:

Post a Comment

I encourage the respectful expression of your thoughts. However, if deemed disrespectful, your comments will be removed.