Thursday, June 5, 2014

Blog 183: Showing Appreciation for Kindness


By Vernon M. Herron


Ten years ago, our pastor preached about “kindness,” then gave the worshippers an assignment for the week. He challenged the congregation to identify “six persons, alive or deceased, who are or were the kindest persons you have ever known, and to hand-write them a note to say so with appreciation.” That experience did something for me.

In a recent speech, one who was a recipient of such letter, made reference to the same. I was able to receive a copy of that correspondence which was most dynamic in every respect. I now share the same with you and urge you to try this experiment to see if you might have a similar affect.

Sunday May 2, 2004

Dear-

During the worship service today, our pastor spoke on “Kindness.” In his message, he gave the worshippers an assignment for the week. He challenged the congregation to identify six persons, alive or deceased, who are or were the kindest persons you have ever known and to hand-write them a note to say so with appreciation, if alive and to memorialize the same, if deceased. Immediately, I identified ten (not just six) kindest persons I have ever known, and you are one of the ten.
  
The pastor further defined “kindness not as a place but a relationship.” This definition was helpful to me as I designate you as one of the kindest persons I have ever known. Your relationship to me has been one of quality interaction. You have long shown concern and support for me in my pre and post retirement years, health status and general welfare. I have observed your Christian spirit and your supportive attitude toward your family and friends. You are concerned about others and that makes you kind.

The pastor also suggested this be a hand-written note, signifying the personal touch. A “note,” yes, this I can do but not the hand-writing aspect. My penmanship is poooooooor!, and I must depend on the computer.

One other point, I have identified you as one of the ten kindest persons I have ever known.  Now I thank you for being you. But really, the KINDEST of them all is

MY LORD AND SAVIOUR JESUS CHRIST,
MY SOURCE OF ALL LIFE!
TO HIM BE THE GLORY AND HONOR!

AMEN




Vernon M. Herron






P.S. Now, may I suggest that you try this transforming experience to see what happens.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I encourage the respectful expression of your thoughts. However, if deemed disrespectful, your comments will be removed.