Saturday, July 12, 2014

Blog 186: Shoulders


By C. Maria Macon
 Guest Writer


According to Louise L. Hay’s book “You Can Heal Your Life,” copyrighted in 1984 and gifted to me by Obadijah Ogoonda Mmh, sadly the date gifted is unknown:

Shoulders represent our ability to carry out experiences in life joyously. We make life a burden by our attitude. But we can work toward change by a simple affirmation “I choose to allow all of my experiences to be joyous and loving.”

With the understanding garnered from Mrs. Hay’s book, I started to think about and make a list without thinking too hard, of the shoulders both living and those gone on that I have encountered and now upon which I stand. Here is my abbreviated list, not necessary in any order.

Lest we forget: Dr. Mildred Baxter Davis; Robert ‘Bob’ Walton; William ‘Pete’ Cunningham; Mr. Charles Thomas; Mrs. Sarah Stevenson; Hattie Anthony; George & Alberta Lampkin (my father & mother), George Lampkin, Jr.; Dr. Paula Newsome; Frankie Johnson; Sekou Glass; Ron Leeper; Larry Leon Hamlin; Malcolm X; Barbara Proctor-Gardner; Nathan Ross Freeman; Dr. Vernon Herron; Patrick Cannon; Valerie Woodard; Chloe Buchanan; Patricia Ford; Willa Mae Pearson; Lucille Small; Lela Prater; Ezekiel & Ruth D. Lowe; Sylvia L. Grier; Mayor Dan Clodfelter; Troy Watson; Dr. Gyasi Foluke; Connie Williams; Mr. James Fox; NC Arts Council; Charlotte’s Arts & Science Council; Judge Yvonne Mims-Evans; Ella Joyce Stewart; Governor Pat McCrory; Maya Angelou; Jessie Jackson; Pop Staples; Sammy Davis Jr.; Michael Marsicano; Johnny Allen; Dr. Rev. Sheldon Shipman; Bishop Walker; Bishop Battle; James E. Sanders; Doc. Marini Emile; Dr. Sam & Mrs. Maxine Davis. And, every client that ever walked through my doors from 1995 until the present.

Whose shoulders do you stand on?

No comments:

Post a Comment

I encourage the respectful expression of your thoughts. However, if deemed disrespectful, your comments will be removed.