Sunday, February 5, 2012

Blog 91: I See a Pattern


By Vernon M. Herron



     Recently, I read an interesting account of the Rev. Dr. Gardner C. Taylor, 93, now in retirement, who once was the pastor of the historic Concord Baptist Church of Christ in Brooklyn, NY. He was a close advisor to the late Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.; was awarded the Presidential Medal of Freedom from President Bill Clinton;  received more than a dozen degrees; and was named by Baylor University as among the dozen most effective preachers in the English-speaking world.

     Behind this public figure, many younger ministers sought this pastor as a mentor, teacher and inspirational leader for shared experiences, coaching and insight. The young would engage the elder in a round of golf, drive the same to a regular Ministers Conference meeting or engage in a serious “bull” discussion.

     The elder Dr. Taylor is now in a convalescence center, but younger men still seek “to milk” this sage of his wisdom on preaching, pastoring, politics, writing, publishing and on life’s experiences for continued existence.

     I see a pattern of keen-minded young men who seek the benefits of life’s experiences from older men. Let me cite an example. After I turned 80, a young man offered to teach me how to “blog,” including correcting whatever mistakes were made or technical problems ensued. Once his teaching was done, the remaining time was spent in sharing, discussion, and picking my brains, regarding the secrets of life. Apparently, he learned much but one thing is sure, I gained new ideas for blog writing.

     There are others who keep in touch with me even unto this day, seeking wisdom, advice and offering opinions and gratitude for mine. Following the pattern of Dr. Taylor, who was the father of a girl, I too could say to a neophyte, “you gave me the son I never had.”
     

No comments:

Post a Comment

I encourage the respectful expression of your thoughts. However, if deemed disrespectful, your comments will be removed.