Saturday, February 11, 2012

Blog 93: Lord, Teach us to Reflect, Meditate and Pray

     
By Vernon M. Herron

     “The Tuesday Morning Breakfast Forum provides an opportunity for all in attendance to learn information of importance to the African American community in particular and the rest of Charlotte in general.” The Forum generally opens with a call to reflect, meditate or to pray. A response to the call is usually given by one of our own, Steve Johnston, Joel Ford, Gyasi Foluke or Vernon Herron.

     Steve Johnston usually offers the Four-Fold Franciscan Blessing:

    

May God bless us with discomfort at easy answers, half truths, and superficial relationships, so that we may live deep within our hearts. Amen.

May God bless us with anger at injustice, oppression, and exploitation of people, so that we may work for justice, freedom and peace. Amen.

May God bless us with tears to shed for those who suffer from pain, rejection, starvation and war, so that we may reach out our hands to comfort them and to turn their pain into joy. Amen.

May God bless us with enough foolishness to believe that we can make a difference in this world, so that we can do what others claim cannot be done. Amen.


Gyasi Foluke usually offers a Kushite meditation:

    

I see good in you;
I see God in you.
For you are a part of me
And I am a part of you.
It matters little what religion or creed you profess;
But it matters much what spirituality or deed you manifest
Therefore , let us see good or God within each  other.
For as we think, so we are and as we believe we can achieve;
For I am a part of you and you are a part of me;
What affects you directly
Affects me indirectly,
If I help you, I help myself;
If I harm you, I harm myself;
For I am a part of you and you are a part of me.
Amen


Joel Ford’s leadership is in an affirmation form:
    

     This is the day the Lord has made, and I will rejoice and be glad in it.  God's mercy and grace are new every morning in my life.
     I rejoice because I am God's child.  I have been filled with His Spirit. Greater is He that is in me than he that is in the world. The Holy Spirit is bigger than any problem, obstacle, or challenge.  The Holy Spirit will give me wisdom and discernment regarding every decision I need to make today. 
     When I acknowledge God through prayer and worship, my steps are ordered and directed of Him. The Lord gives me wisdom and insight concerning  all the affairs of my life. 
     I choose to be a blessing to all those around me.
No matter what happens today, I know God will see me through.  I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me, and If God is for me then no one can be against me.
     I choose to honor God today by the words I speak; I will honor God by the way I act.  I will honor God by allowing His love, light and truth to shine through me.
     I am the head and not the tail; I am above and not beneath. I am blessed coming in and blessed going out.  I am ready for anything and equal to anything through Christ Jesus.  He always causes me to triumph.  No weapon formed against me shall prosper.  I am strong in the Lord and the power of His might. Today is going to be a great day!
Amen 
     
Vernon Herron Tells a Bird Story to 
Challenge Wondering Minds:  
   
The Bird Story

     A lad tried to outwit a wise leader. So one    day the lad said to the sage, “I have a bird in my hands, is it dead or alive?” If the leader would say, “It is alive,” then the lad would crush the bird to death. While opening his hands, he would say, “See, it is dead!”
     If the leader would say, “It is dead!,” then the lad would open his hands and the bird would fly away, while saying, “See, the bird is alive.”
     So testing day came. The lad said to the wise leader, “I have a bird in my hands, is it dead or alive?” 

     The wise leader looked pointed at the lad and said, “The bird is in your hands, my boy, DO AS YOU WILL.”
Amen   

No comments:

Post a Comment

I encourage the respectful expression of your thoughts. However, if deemed disrespectful, your comments will be removed.