Saturday, July 14, 2012

Blog 106: I Learned English in a Biology Class Room: In Memory of Marian (Eunice) Evans Patton



By
Vernon  M. Herron


During the late 40s, Marian Evans and I were school and classmates at Charlotte’s Second Ward High School. Not only were we friends but we were “buddies” in every sense of the word. She married our classmate Connie Patton. Mariam  passed on Monday 9 July and was buried on Thursday 12 July.

Marian and I were born in the same year (1928), the same month (October), only three days apart. I was born first. This phenomenon, calls to mind, God’s sovereignty of life and death. Never-the-less, we know that our times are in HIS hands and that we submit our will to HIS care.  

In the 1st quarter of the Second Ward High School Class of ’47 Newsletter #3, Marian  was honored in an article, “I Learned English in a Biology Class”, by this author. Unknowingly, she was my teacher also. That article is reprinted here as a blog tribute and as a memorial to one who taught me the correct usage of the verb “to be.” Hardly did we know then that this schoolmate would become a blog-writer and would constantly rely on her teaching.



      I Learned English in a Biology Class Room 
by
Vernon M Herron
In what setting does one need to learn corrective English? Is it in an English class taught by the late Mattie Hall, a Science class taught by the late Edward Brown, a French class taught by the late Kenneth Diamond, a Social Studies class taught by the late W. H. Moreland, or a Mathematic class taught by our own Alene McCorkle?                                                                                   

I learned to conjugate the verb “is” in Mr. Brown’s biology class room, taught to me by a fellow classmate, Marian Evans. I had written an article under the caption “Herron Speaks” for the HERALD NEWS, a school publication. In that article was the line, “Most of them was boys.” Upon proof reading the article, “Eunice,” as Marian is affectionately called, corrected the sentence to read “Most of them were boys.” At that moment, I learned the difference between “was” and “were.” I never forgot it
Learning takes place in any setting when anyone is willing to share and to perceive.

    He who knows not, and knows that he knows not-
    is a child, teach him!
    He who knows not, and knows not, that he knows not
    is a fool, shun him!
    He who knows, and knows that he knows
    is a teacher, follow him!

Thank you Marian, for being my schoolmate and teacher.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I encourage the respectful expression of your thoughts. However, if deemed disrespectful, your comments will be removed.