Tuesday, August 7, 2012

Blog 108: My Mother’s 1936 Ledger - Full of History

By Vernon M. Herron

The first phase and place to begin your search for genealogical information is in your home.  Family information may be found in your family Bible, diaries, journals, wills, marriage certificates, organizational papers, military records, photographs, autographs, old newspaper, diplomas, yearbooks, certificates, anniversary and wedding announcements, etc.

In many old documents found in the home, genealogical data can be found. In a broad sense, genealogy is the studies of the origins and descent of families. In a narrow sense, genealogy is concerned with the identification of individuals, their families and community relationship in a historical setting.


That’s just what I found in a 1936 ledger/journal of my mother, the late Mrs. Mamie Herron.  Even though this ledger was old in writing on fading paper, I could still see history and life as they were in my childhood when I was eight years of age and in the third grade. This secretary’s record book was a recording of activities of a religious organization which also gave a glimpse of a segment of Charlotte’s Black community, namely Second Ward  seventy-six years ago.  I soon recognized the value of this ledger and made it a vital part of my home library. I am glad that I did!

At right is the picture. Most saints had their own church affiliation but were also members of UNION PRAYER BAND HALL #1, located on the northwest corner of South Caldwell and 3rd Streets, which met on Sunday afternoon and evenings. The prayer band met for singing, corporate and individual prayers, testimonies, fellowship and socialization. This Union Hall was really a Masonic building with its top floor off limit to the public while the first floor was rented to the UNION PRAYER BAND HALL #1. (Bethlehem Center was a neighbor located on the northeast corner of the streets.)

This Prayer Band #1 had subcommittees, “set apart to do the work,” like the Self-Denial club and the sick committee. My mother, with a third grade education, was the secretary of the latter and in my opinion, did a fabulous job! It is amazing what her ledger book revealed: content of the ledger, significance of the committee’s work, names and addresses of committee members and their relationship to each other and the community, financial records, an indication of the educational level of membership, community economic and socialization, her sense of humility, notes which reminded me of my childhood experiences and finally the disbandment of Union Hall.

Upon opening the ledger book, attached to the inside cover were the table of content and a standard outline for the order of meetings with page numbers. The pages following gave the Mission of the committee as “to go and see after the sick, to pray for the sick and to do what you can.” Other pages included names and addresses of members, number of members present, visitors, number of prayers offered, and the amount of money collected and given to the sick. The minutes were always signed by Mamie Herron, secretary. Now, that’s organization, isn’t it!

Well, let’s go further in the examination of mama’s record book. The ledger gives a clear financial picture. Even though 58 names comprised the sick committee, generally five to ten persons would gather in a home of the sick for prayer, an offering was taken and given to the ill, and even physical labor was offered if needed. Depending on the number of home visitors, 35 cents to $1.25 was raised and given. On one occasion, $13.78 was “raised for the sick in distress.” In her annual report, $17.65 is noted as the total given to sick.

The dues for all committee members were 5 cents per meeting. Even though National Bank was the depository of the organization, seldom was there a balance of $100.00 remaining.

Often in the minutes, when making reference to herself, Mama Mamie’s humility is noted in the following lines. “The meeting opened by little me trying to sing, ‘Remember me, O Lord, remember me.’” In another place she wrote, “Just a little number of committee members met.” And finally, when $2.80 was given to the sick, she closed the minutes by recording, “God loves a cheerful giver but let it comes from the heart.”

Another distinctive and revealing section of the ledger, which gave a glimpse of Black community life in “Second Ward” and which brought vivid memories to mind, was the complete membership roll with names and addresses. Informality and socialization were noted as the males were called “brothers” while the ladies were called “sisters.” Because of my age at the time, I accompanied my mother to the Union Hall, thus I knew most persons on the membership roll.

Noting the addresses, members either lived on streets, courts or in allies. I knew families who lived in alleys, backyards, along creeks and waterways, like the “Blue Heaven” section and parts of the Brooklyn community. This gave a glimpse of how Black folks, with limited resources, were forced to live during the early days.

This blindly sight followed me to my high school days where I found enlightenment in a Family Relationship class, taught by a beloved teacher, Mrs. Bernidene Pinkney. I remembered our discussion on the make-up of the community regarding “alley,” saying that I would never live there as an “alley rat.” The teacher questioned my rationale, explaining that people live according to their means which is a matter of economics. My thinking was corrected. Now, today I love all people wherever they live.

Another episode is about the name and person of Addie Price, number 19, whose address was 719 Watkins Alley. “Miss Addie” was blind and dependent on others for assistance in movement. I was impressed with her general neatness and her ability to keep house even in “the alley.” One day, my mother sent a message to “Miss Addie” by me, asking if she wanted to attend prayer meeting that evening at Pearlena Moore’s home in Saxon Court? Addie Price shouted with joy, answering with a big “yes” and a promise to be ready. Upon entering Mrs. Moore’s home and before she was seated, Miss Price started singing, “So glad I’m here in Jesus’ name.”

Finally, from mother’s recording, I saw indications of the group’s education, social, economic and spiritual levels. They did well with what they had. In the book, I saw reference to a “camp meeting.” This reference brought joy to my heart. Again, at my young age, I remembered attending one, sleeping in a hut’s hay stack bed, eating mama’s homecooked food, attending service under a tent harbor and seeing people from “everywhere.”

Without written facts, it seemed that the work, function and results of the Union Prayer Band Hall were a threat to the role and function of local churches. Thus, the Prayer Band members were encouraged to work exclusively through their own local churches and consequently the UNION PRAYER BAND HALL #1 was disbanded. But, thank God for mama’s ledger book. It gave much genealogical information. It was good to see glimpses of Black life in 1936. Thank God for letting an 83-year-old man again see historical glimpses through the eyes of an 8-year-old lad. Yes! This is a peak into history. Thank you again Mama Mamie.

May I remind all readers of the beginning point. Much genealogical information can be found in your home. Have you looked? If not, start today and send me your results.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I encourage the respectful expression of your thoughts. However, if deemed disrespectful, your comments will be removed.