Wednesday, January 22, 2014

Blog 171: Learning From Exposure


By Vernon M. Herron


     There are many methods used for learning. Let there be no doubt about it, we can learn from exposure. A bank executive carried his son to his office one day, allowing him to sit in his big chair behind his desk and get the feel of being an executive; An engineer showed his son creative modules and designs which he had made in the hope inspiring the boy; while another father showed his son the different parts of an automobile and how to drive it once all parts were properly in place.

While my father died when I was one year of age, I was extremely blessed with the presence of an aunt who lived with us for the first eight years of my life and who was also my second grade teacher.
 

Aunt Leila exposed me to three great learning experiences which resonate with me even unto this day; they were a streetcar ride, an escalator ride and an airplane ride.

In the early
20s, Charlotte’s major transportation system was the  Streetcar, which traveled in the center of the street, when patrons could ride for 5 cents. I remember my first streetcar ride. Approaching automobiles would stop to allow passengers time to board the approaching trolley. I observed the operation of the conductor, his pulling the bell as his horn. I noted the interior of the car unit. The trolley car was powered not by motor and gas but by electricity overhead. My! What a ride and an experience!

Our destiny of having a streetcar ride was to visit the Belk Department store located in uptown Charlotte, NC. Here, I had my second great exposure. We traveled to the second floor by way of an escalator, (moving stairs) which I had not seen nor experienced before. That ride blew my mind!

Now, the third exposure was my first airplane ride. On a Sunday afternoon, one could pay $2.00 for a “joy ride” over the city of Charlotte, noting my residential community from the sky. The view, ride and the experience were awesome. I shall never forget those exposures. They were learning experiences.

Thank God for one who not only taught from the blackboard but also taught by exposure.        

No comments:

Post a Comment

I encourage the respectful expression of your thoughts. However, if deemed disrespectful, your comments will be removed.