Thursday, February 14, 2013

Blog 128: Like Mother, Like Daughter

By Vernon M. Herron
Photography by William Youngblood

     This is the second in a series of articles on rediscovery of the Black family. It is good to see a healthy relationship between mother and daughter. Today, three young ladies share inner life with “mother.”


     “My mother has always been straightforward about the ways of life; whether I wanted to hear it or not. Yet today, as a 27-year-old adult, I continue to walk by her side to church, the grocery store, at the shopping mall and even celebratory gatherings. I am not ashamed or shy to be accompanied with my mother.
     “Why? Because she is my 'best friend.' She has instilled in me precious life values that I only hope to be able to teach my children one day. She is a strong woman who stands on her own two feet and possesses so many qualities I admire every day. Others may compliment our bond, but to me it's natural. I thank God for it every day and for her; Wendy Ladd, my 'best friend.'”
Amanda Ladd



Rosemary Lawrence and Kamaria

     Friends come and go but, my Mother’s love is forever. I think of the many conversations we have shared, during many of which she was teaching me things about life. Only a mother would remain in my life the many times I forgot I was the child and spoke out of turn. Only a mother would love me enough to drive four hours after work to pick me up in another state when I felt sick. Only a mother would take off from her very demanding job to stay with me in my hospital room for nearly two weeks when I learned I had been diagnosed with Multiple Sclerosis.
     I go out of my way to show her how much I love her because since my birth she has gone above and beyond to let me know how important I am to her. Only she and I know why we are so special to one another. She fusses when I spend my last few dollars to take her dinner, or purchase something she may need. She is in no way in need of my financial help but, if I could I would pay everything for my Mother. She rarely if ever takes time for herself and has way more energy than I ever did.
     We enjoy a great deal together. I cried when she pinned my membership pin on me. We laughed after getting unlocked from a train in France. We sang when we traveled to two different cities to follow one of our favorite singers. We cried when my father passed and held each other close.
     When it was her turn to rest after having major surgery, many of our family members were unsure of what to do because she does everything near perfect. Even when placed on temporary bed rest she was still working a mile a minute. If I could be anything, it would wish to be like my Mother. She is love. She is grace. She is beauty. She is my Mother!
Kamaria Lawrence



Linda Youngblood and Meaghan

     The definition of a friend is one that is attached to another by affection.  My mother is my best friend because we share the same affection for each other as well as common interest.  I can share anything with my mom and she is able to give me advice when I need it the most.
  
     My mom and I are able to spend the day sharing ideas and enjoying each other’s company.  One day she may teach me something and the next I may help her with a project.  Having similarities and differences helps us to keep a balance that allows us to have an amazing mother/daughter relationship as well as a friendship that will last a lifetime.
Meaghan Michelle Youngblood

No comments:

Post a Comment

I encourage the respectful expression of your thoughts. However, if deemed disrespectful, your comments will be removed.