Monday, February 11, 2013

Blog 127: Like Father, Like Daughter: A Rediscovery of the Black Family

 
By Vernon M. Herron
Photography by William Youngblood

     Much fan mail was received when we published blogs 116 and 117 on “Like Father, Like Son.” Now this is a first in a series of three blog articles on a rediscovery of the Black family. Much negative news is often written about the Black family life, but this is positive news.   
     I remember the first definition for “family” learned many years ago. “Family is at least two generations of persons bound by blood or adoption and living under one roof.” That definition would not be valid today as any combination of adults may be living together and without children. We are delighted to note that children are an integral part of family. 
     Regardless of the definition, we note that the Black family is under attack. In this series, we will see through the eyes of children the positive side of the family in relation to:
            Like Father, Like Daughter
            Like Mother, Like Daughter and
            Husband and Wife teams
     It is intriguing to note the daughter’s role in relationship to her father. Here she learns through experience the role of being a partner to men, her father and even the role her mother plays.
     Today, three beautiful young ladies describe in simple terms, “My father is my hero”. Read their words.

 
Tommie Scott and Jamey

     My father is my hero because whenever I need help on my homework, he is always the one who is there to help. When I grow up, I want to be a Marine just like he was. My father has taught me important things in life and I try not to forget them. I love my father and I look up to him.
Jamey Scott





  
                                     Tim Atwell and Joy

     My Dad is my hero because he is the nicest dad in the whole world.  He takes really good care of me.  He finds me when I am lost.  When I am sad, he lets me tackle him on the couch and gives me the biggest hug.  My Dad always looks out for me.  He protects us when we get hurt.   My Daddy will always be in my heart.  I love you daddy hugs and kiss.
Joy






Randall Willie and Christin

     My daddy is the greatest. He is my friend, protector, provider and buddy. I feel secure with him. I even thank God for this blessing. I study hard to show my appreciation for his love and support. We are partners in purpose and structure.
“Thank you Lord, for my dad.”

                                                                                           Christin

No comments:

Post a Comment

I encourage the respectful expression of your thoughts. However, if deemed disrespectful, your comments will be removed.