Wednesday, October 16, 2013

Blog 151: An Avalanche of Birthday Cards

 
By Vernon M. Herron


     Do you remember the best party you ever attended or what was served? Last year I wrote about the best social party, which I had attended in life, at that time. From blog 2, here are excerpts I wrote about that experience.  
     “During the 50s the Lee’s Home was a well-known part of the middle-class black community. I attended two noted social activities there which I shall never forget…The second activity was the best social party I ever attended in my life. It was a “blowout” of chatter, fun and refreshments. The fun part was based on the fact that we had “all things in common.” The refreshments made this party great. Can you guess what the menu was? Pop-Corn and coke! That’s all. It was the company and the setting which made the day.”
     But that opinion has changed. A few days ago, on October 7, I observed my 85th birthday. I received a “bushel” of birthday cards and no food was served. This birthday celebration “tops” them all. The avalanche of birthday cards filled a huge basket. Each card was personal, unique and appreciated. Each card reminded me of a relationship, a recognition of my personhood and a deep appreciation of friendship. Cards came from fellow churchmen, fraternal brothers, sorority sisters, political allies and social contacts.

Here is a copy of the invitational letter friends received. 
Leila Herron Waters
2510 Century Oaks Lane
Charlotte, NC 28262
704-599-0679
Fax: 704-599-1076
E-mail: afrigen@bellsouth.net
                                                        

     On October 7, 2013, our father, Dr. Vernon M. Herron will observe his 85th birthday. His family will quietly celebrate this significant occasion with thanksgiving, reverence and an avalanche of cards.
     Please accept this correspondence as your invitation to extend best wishes by participating in a card shower. Send your card to me, at the above address for this momentous occasion.
     Should you choose to accept this invitation, please respond by September 30, 2013.  Because of his love and respect for you, I am sure that he will be delighted with your response. Your name may appear twice; if so, pardon the redundancy.
Cordially,
Leila Herron Waters
     Friends responded. 
     Now I want to describe a few of the cards for your fancy. Three of the cards were vocal, including one snoring. I am not sure of the implication; 

One card came from a couple whom I married 59 years ago;

One card came from a young man (lad) whom I met at a MLK, Jr. parade, four years ago when he was seven years old. He adopted me as his father and wanted to take me home with him.


One card came from my church seat partners who enclosed a “bill” with B. Franklin’s picture on it; 

One card came from a political ally with clever sayings from each of his grandchildren. Picture one said, “Dr. Herron, my  Pa-Pa said that you were “cool” like me.” Picture two said, “Pa-Pa said you were tough like me.” Picture three said, “Pa-Pa said you were brilliant like me.” Picture four said, “Pa- Pa said you were funny like me.”  Picture five said, “Our Pa-Pa said you have been all of these things for 85 years. Happy  Birthday.”


Finally, a 10-page notebook card was created by a cousin couple which included flowers, a song, balloons, birthday wishes and a family portrait.

Observing my 85th birthday was a success. It will long be remembered. My daughter, Leila McPherson Herron Waters, deserves the credit for this successful and memorable occasion. She made and executed the plans. She made my day with your help. She has my love, respect and appreciation. 

 

Here is a copy of the “thank you” letter sent:
A “Thank You”  Note

You helped me to live:
Esteemed
Beloved
Respected
And
Honored
Thank you for your birthday remembrance

Vernon M. Herron

1 comment:

  1. This birthday celebration “tops” them all. The avalanche of birthday cards filled a huge basket. 30th birthday ideas

    ReplyDelete

I encourage the respectful expression of your thoughts. However, if deemed disrespectful, your comments will be removed.