Monday, October 21, 2013

Blog 152: Expressions from Blog Readers

By Vernon M. Herron

Blogging is a process of interaction. The blogger writes, the reader responds by critiquing and/or setting forth alternatives. Below are expressions from blog readers like you.


Reflective Comments

Bullying is not in my vocabulary as I detest it very much.  I liked your blog on the subject. I believe that those who bully others are very insecure people, who are in need of help. Children need to be taught social skills from early ages; they need to know their self-worth. The "Golden- Rule "should be constantly instilled in them. When I taught, I always chose literature to read to my class which taught the children to be nice and respectful to others.  I did this because I saw potential bullies and I wanted to change attitudes. Bullying should never be tolerated in any setting, the earlier we eradicate it, the better. Thank you so much for the blog, it should be read by all educators of small children.
Connie


_____________________________________


A wonderful blog, Dr. Herron. Ms. Thornton is so very correct. There was a time in another era and another place when our teachers and schools integrated characterinto everything that we did. What happened to this whole notion of doing business for children? I have some ideas, of course. I would like to hear what others think. 


Kenneth Simmons



_____________________________________


In the late 1990's before I retired, some parents objected when school personnel addressed character development with their children. At that time, I was a junior high assistant principal. (The change to middle school had not yet occurred.)  On several occasions I was visited by parents who wanted to discuss the school's efforts to discuss character development in assemblies and school clubs.  Each visitor always insisted that parents were solely responsible for the character development of their children.  On more than one occasion the parent arrived with a written "position paper" that had been prepared by a group of parents of the same mindset.  I always shared with them the rationale for the school's involvement in the issue of character development.  I responded in the following way:  I agree that parents should be responsible for character development, but not necessarily solely responsible. Unfortunately, some parents do not address it at all.  Even when parents take it seriously, children do not always exhibit behavior at school that would make their parents proud.  Because disparities exist, character development should be addressed at school in order to maintain reasonable behavior standards.  Parents and school personnel should work together to help students achieve self-discipline.

Bullying at school was a problem then, as it is still.  The bullies did not always come from the homes where parents discussed it very seldom, if at all.  Some of the visiting parents with their objections and "position papers" and their professions that they were sending model students to school each day were actually parents of bullies and children with other character flaws. It is interesting that people do not always see themselves as others see them.


Barbara P. Hendricks



_____________________________________


I appreciate your blogs, and look forward to seeing you again. Thank you in advance,


Kenneth Morton



_____________________________________


We have a very brief summary on bullying. I would love to speak with you concerning this topic.


Lady Cruz



_____________________________________


Thank you so very much for including my daughter and me in your collection of interviews and pictures of families. I am particularly enjoying the family blog and your additional blogs.

Thank you for creating a format in which my daughter expressed her love and gratitude in an exceptional manner. I had not read it until it appeared in your blog. We have printed off the picture and article as a keepsake.

We are enormously grateful for your kindness and thoughtfulness. We pray for your continued strength and good health. May God continue to bless and keep you.


Rosemary L. Lawrence



_____________________________________


It is with great pride that I extend best wishes. You have been a source of great wisdom and a wealth of information.


 Senator Joel D. M. Ford
_____________________________________


Dear Vernon:

My staff, family 12th district constituents and I wish you the best for your blogs. You have been an inspiration to so many, including me.


  Melvin L. Watt
Member of Congress, 12th District, North Carolina
_____________________________________



My dear Dr. Herron:

As I read your blogs over the past few years, I have come to realize that your deep and thoughtful commentary has blessed many of us. I most certainly have been blessed; and count it a privilege to be a part of your network. I thank you for your blogs of wisdom, of deep penetrating words and your religious and historical perspective on life. May God continue to bless your life; so that you may keep blessing our us.


 James and Emily Kellum



_____________________________________


Dr. Herron

I enjoy your blogs. One day soon, I will send you one that I wrote from the inspiration I gathered from you.


  Lena Pickens



_____________________________________


Dear Uncle Vernon,

Through your many blogs, many people have had self reflection. You have taught through life’s experiences. I thank you for knowledge sharing. Reading your blogs over the years has helped me to learn and grow; to realize that we all have a story to tell. I thank you for giving me the opportunity to tell part of my story.

May God Forever Bless and Keep You.


Love, Your Niece Earline



_____________________________________


I searched all over for information about Brooklyn, (Charlotte, NC) too, and you, helped me so much, especially by putting into categories what was lost by so many when Brooklyn went down: home, school, church and community.  My thanks for the blogs and best wishes.


Ann Mayhew



_____________________________________


I am happy to see you back in print. (Blogging)


  Ione Vargus, Ph.D., “Mother of Family Reunion”



_____________________________________


Needless to say, I was very happy to read your blog regarding genealogy. I look forward to more.


Constance Dillon


_____________________________________



I wish that I could find the words to express to you just how much you mean to me as a role model, an inspiration and as a friend. Thanks for the blogs and all that you have added to my life. I trust and pray that you will continue to write blogs and be a role model for me and others for years to come!


Much love, Kraig Holt

No comments:

Post a Comment

I encourage the respectful expression of your thoughts. However, if deemed disrespectful, your comments will be removed.